Techtool Pro 4.5.3 Issues

Issues:

*HUGE* CPU and RAM use. I left it running overnight with two instances of memtest and Techtool this morning was using 1.15 GB!! of memory and 85% processor on a G5 dual 1.8ghz. You've got to be kidding me. I had to force quit it. I've only got 768 physical RAM.

It doesn't report any errors this way at least.

BUT: When booted from a DVD, locks on the 1010101 (or whatever alternating) memory test. With either set of RAM sticks installed that I have.

Memtool in single or in a terminal window in the OS has no such issue and reports all RAM ok.

So far, I have to say, I'm not terribly impressed. At least I only paid $50 for it during the Macupdate special.

I've also heard disk horror stories of it trashing people's drives and having to fix it with Disk Warrior.

I don't have a success story for you on this product and I'm a bit afraid to use it for something important with what I've seen and heard.

Comments

Popular Posts