4 gigabyte RAM in HP Mini 311

Well, first off, why? Because I got a 4 gig stick for $19.99 after rebate, which was cheaper than the 2 gig stick I'd paid $23 for a few weeks earlier. @#$^$%@!

System:
Mini 311 1037NR. Atom 270. Windows 7 Home Premium (yes, 32 bit. More on that later.)

The BIOS recognizes that there is 5120MB of RAM.

The OS says I have 3.25 gigs of RAM installed, which is 512MB more than it showed before.

System Performance rating was 2.3, 4.5, 4.4, 5.4, and 5.5 top to bottom with the 2gig stick. The graphics performance dropped by .1 but that was the only change.

Long story short, this will give you about 20% more available RAM under a 32 bit OS, and that's worthwhile to me when it doesn't cost any more money.

Under a 64 bit OS, I'm betting you could see all 5120MB that the BIOS sees.

Someone send me a 64 bit copy of Windows 7 and I'll check. :)

And I have a 2 gig and 1 gig DDR3 1066 for sale. :)

This tip cost me some bucks, so if you want to drop 50 cents in the box on the right via a Paypal donation, you wouldn't hurt my feelings.

We do the odd reviews and experiments around here, particularly the ones I can't find anywhere else, but that nearly always entails buying our own gear.

So help support theroblog with some nickels, nickels, nickels. I love the sound of cold hard cash.

Comments

Popular Posts