Arianna Huffington Breaks Reality: I hope she doesn't Fact Check for the Huffington Post.

On Page 88 of the June 2014 issue of 'Vanity Fair' Arianna Huffington had this to say:

"Fact: (John F. Kennedy) was just saying 'Don't ask what your country can do for you...' (when he was assassinated)." Parentheses mine because the point is:

JFK gave that speech during his 1961 inauguration. He wasn't shot during his inauguration. Perhaps the reader will remember it was in Dallas, about 2.5 years later. In a motorcade. When he wasn't giving a speech.

Also this gem:

"Fact: Minutes Later, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. ...saying "I've just had this incredible dream."

Wow, now there's just a little bit of misquoting huh?

Oh yeah, that speech was in 1963. He wasn't killed until 1968.

Also, guess what, they weren't assassinated within minutes of each other. More like 5 years.

I feel stupider. Yeah, I'm going to use that word to describe my feelings.

I'm actually throwing this issue of Vanity Fair in the recycle bin right now. 

I hope someone was making an oblique insult of Arianna for letting this go to press this way. Or, was she parodying herself?

Vanity Fair and Arianna Huffington: A match made in Remedial History 099. (History 101 is usually a Basic History, but that would be extremely generous.)



Comments

Popular Posts