Aaron and the Blessing

When Aaron was younger, I asked him to say the blessing. "I pledge allegiance..."

'No Aaron, the BLESSING.'

"I pledge allegiance..."

'No buddy, the *blessing*.

"I can't, the Pledge of Allegiance is in the way!"

Poor thing couldn't get it straight in his little 4 or 5 year old head.

Well, truth is no stranger than fiction, as today I was watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and witnessed this exchange between Clark and his senile Aunt Bethany.

Clark: Since this is Aunt Bethany's 80th Christmas, I think she should lead us in the saying of Grace.
Aunt Bethany: What dear?
Nora: Grace!
Aunt Bethany: Grace? Ohhh...She passed away thirty years ago...
Uncle Lewis: They want you to say grace.... The BLESS-ING!!!
Aunt Bethany: Oh.

Aunt Bethany:I pledge allegiance, to the flag of the United States of America - and to the republic for which it stands - one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all!
Clark: Amen.

This recalls to mind his later duplication of the scene in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels when Steve Martin as Ruprecht brings his trident to the table.

Apparently too much TV IS bad for you. I'm one of those people who quotes movies and obviously it's soaked into my DNA.

Aaron has never SEEN those movies.

And now you know...the rest of the story....

Comments

Popular Posts