Rules for non-revenue travel AKA Buddy Passes

I stole these from a board I read often. These are my rules for anyone I give a buddy pass to. They are amendable.

  • You are not a paying customer. You are not on a discounted ticket; you are non-revenue, despite the overpriced service charge you paid for the buddy pass. If you have time, an advance-purchase ticket over the internet may be as cheap or cheaper, and will assure you a seat on the flight.
  • Accept that you might not get on at all. The money you paid for this pass merely gives you the opportunity to play the game like an airline employee: beg for a ride, and hope that an unsold seat is available. That's it.
  • Accept that you have a very low boarding priority. The newhire ramp worker, the commuting pilot, the retiree, the person booked on a later flight who wants to leave earlier, and even most other employees traveling standby are ahead of you on the list. If you get on the first (or even any) flight you try for, it would be very unusual.
  • The gate agents do not have time to deal with you. Crying about it and making an ass of yourself will do nothing except jeopardize my pass privileges, and possibly my job. If you screw this up for me, I will hunt you down 'til the day you die.
  • If you're told the flight's full, thank the agent and go find the next flight. No whining. You were not bumped, because you were never a customer to begin with.

Comments

Popular Posts