iDVD 4.0.1 and Dual G5 1.8GHZ Hang

I was making a little DVD for Mom and my sisters for a family event.

Soooo. It kept hanging at Stage 2. I deleted the preferences, reinstalled iDVD, repaired permissions, etc.

Then I noticed that all the issues with iDVD 4.0.1 or 4 were on DUAL G5's. Hmmm.

I had installed the CHUD Tools from Apple for the G5 chirping power supply issues. With that, you can disable processor nap, and/or RUN ON ONE PROCESSOR.

You guessed it, disabling the second processor allowed iDVD 4.0.1 to get thru the second stage!

This is very preliminary but NOTHING else worked before.

Looks like you can re-enable the processor during Stage 3. Activity Monitor interestingly won't report on the second CPU after re-enabling it unless you restart Activity Monitor.

Enjoy your old version of iDVD 4.

This was under OS X 10.4.10

UPDATE: Just using one processor appears not to work as well as I'd like. Here's what seems to be reliable:

-no motion menus
-1 cpu enabled (enabling second CPU after Stage two of asset coding is complete)
-no transition effects
-Delete Assets under the Advanced Menu before starting rendering
-background rendering off,
(I'll keep updating this until I get tired of it or my $5 copy of iLife '05 arrives.)

I just got 5 or 6 passes thru stage 2 with these options.

Update # 2:
I archived this project after importing it into iDVD 5.0.4. 5.0.4 ALSO was also locking up. I'm creating a DVD image now using iDVD 6.latest.update on an external Firewire drive using my Macbook, which has only a combo drive. This appears to be working. I also used a later theme, from version 5 or 6 I can't recall.

Update #3:

I did an archive of the project from within iDVD 5.0.4 and imported it into 6.x. That let me make an image and burn it, using later themes. On a Core 2 Duo Macbook.

My G5 is doing weird things too after doing an Archive and Install. I'm moving to an Intel based Apple desktop in the near future. I gotta be honest; this is starting to remind me of Windows. Don't get me started on that crapbox.

Hey, Apple? Don't make people go thru this. Surely back in the day there were just as many people with this issue. Lots of old griping about dual G5's and iDVD.

Comments

Popular Posts