iPhone 2.2 Software Update Review


I installed it on a first generation iPhone last night. Version 2.2, Build 5G77. I used iTunes 8.0.2 on a Macbook with OS X 10.4.11. Backup your phone before you install, just in case.

So by bullet points, my initial impressions.

  • Enhancements to Maps
    • Google Street View*: Meh. Neat, I can see my house from the side now. I can imagine in a large city this might be useful? Readers, what do you use this for? Dancing bear for me.
    • Public transit and walking directions: See above. Meh.
    • Display address of dropped pins: Useful somewhat. But I'm not sure how yet.
    • Share location via email: Pretty cool. Have your friends meet you. Of course, if you have a first generation iPhone and you are not using a WiFi location enabled spot...well, maybe they can find you in the woods if you have a whistle. You did bring your whistle right?
  • Decrease in call setup failures and dropped calls: DING DING DING! We have a winner! If it's true. Too soon to say yet. I certainly hope it's better than before. Cingular, I miss you. (Yes, I think Cingular was better, and I'm not the only one.)
  • Enhancements to Mail
    • Resolved isolated issues with scheduled fetching of email: Didn't have this issue. Sometimes sending didn't work right away though. I use Gmail IMAP.
    • Improved formatting of wide HTML email: Ok, good to know.
  • Podcasts are now available for download in iTunes application (over Wi-Fi and cellular network): Yes, that's a good one. But you better hope it's a small download. Reportedly it's a 10Meg limit for cellular. Probably audio only would be doable. Maybe some small clippy type videos. The National Geographic video podcast might fit, and the kids will like it. Just avoid the one with Bambi and the lion.
  • Improved stability and performance of Safari: Ding Ding! I hate it when Safari crashes. Let's hope.
  • Improved sound quality of Visual Voicemail messages: Great, but whatever. To me they just sounded low bitrate but no big deal.
  • Pressing Home button from any Home screen displays the first Home screen: Ding! I hated scrolling back to the first screen which is where I kept most of the more important apps.
  • Preference to turn on/off auto-correction in Keyboard Settings: I type like I mean it. Just keep typing and correct it later.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hold the iPhone. I have been reading reports of no Internet access with the 2.2 update and I have it lately. It just started doing it today. Turning the phone off and on restores access but what a pain. You can still make calls and location features work but no Internet connection. Beware.

Popular Posts