Improving the reliability of the Cisco Linksys WRT310N



I think I might have solved the issue with this thing losing connections, albeit at a price.

Sometimes I lost WiFi, sometimes, the Internet, and sometimes the thing just didn't work right.

A few things I've done in order of most to least likely to solve your problem:

1. Put it on one of those cheap laptop coolers that are powered by USB. I just plugged mine into a powered USB hub I already have. There is an 80mm fan sitting right under the router (and my ooma hub on the other fan) that keeps it room temperature.

2. Turn of the 'N' wireless. Painful, but using just the G WiFi seemed to help even more than #1 maybe.

3. Assign static DHCP address to your devices. It's in the menus somewhere.

4. Do a hard reset and reconfigure.

Really, judging by all the problems people mentioned with WiFi, I bet #2 is actually the most responsible. Losing 'N' stinks, but only my Macbook had it anyway. It's still not a horrible deal to get 54G and gigabit routing.

Notes: It's firmware v1.0.07-LS-HND.

Knock on wood, I haven't had any problems in days.

Comments

Popular Posts