Beginning iPhone Development Books

I programmed a bit in college. Assembly, C, PLCs at least. BASIC in Jr. High and High School. So I'm not a total newbie, I just need to learn syntax, the programming environment, etc.

The books I have are 'Learn Objective-C on the Mac' and 'Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK'.

So far, I've done the first couple of projects in each. I'm going to drop the iPhone portion and concentrate on the Objective-C side of the house first.

The Objective-C is not for the absolute C newbie. It explains about 90% of the code, but a few of the items I have to research to find out if it's a variable, some sort of built in C function or command or what. Not insurmountable, just be aware that this is not quite what I would call a beginners book.

If you've programmed before, and definitely in C of some flavor, you should be ok. My experience isn't exhaustive by any stretch, but I've worked with computers a long time and used 3 or 4 different languages in the past, so it's not totally alien territory either.

'Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK' assumes you know a bit more, but so far, seems to actually explain the code and what you are doing with the SDK even better.

A word about this book: there are 2 or 3 editions. None cover the new OS 3.0 features. The earlier editions are a few bucks cheaper, but don't bother unless $7-$10 is a make or break for you. If that were true, you wouldn't be working on a Mac would you?

I am using a 1.83Ghz C2D Macbook with 3 gigs of RAM and a 500 gig hard drive for development. My OS is 10.5. This is a perfectly fine environment so far.

Now, all I need is to finish my app idea and get the $99 application fee to put stuff in the iTunes store.

Buy the books here and help me reach my goal!






Comments

Popular Posts