My Airline Pilot FAQ


Here's what I fly. Because people ask.

Also I'm answering some common questions.

No, I do not make tons of money. I do not have a regular route, like a paper route, although the money is probably similar. Unless you consider anywhere in Canada, Mexico, and the U.S. to be regular. Yes, I live in Houston but I'm based in Cleveland, OH.

I only know the days I'm going to work, and not necessarily where or when I'm going exactly.

No, we don't know what the United/Continental merger means. That's like asking someone who just went on a first date if they have their children's college fund set up. Too soon to tell.

Yep, it's a 'small' 'regional' (most of North America), but try gently hustling it down onto the runway on a Houston summer day. It's 40,000 lbs at around 140 miles an hour. And if you're not adjusting power, you're juggling the yoke around because it's inherently unstable. Most of the time, both. Don't forget to adjust for the crosswind. It helps if you can drive a 5 speed, talk on the phone, and eat something at the same time. Also, absorb and correlate the power setting, picture out the window, altitude, speed, etc etc. Don't bend anything.

No, I don't have to find and pay for my own hotel. It's not truck driving.

It's a crazy business.

Why do we do it then?

Because we're crazy, that's why.

(more questions and answers TBA)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Just want to say that I continue to be very proud of you and your accomplishments. Happy Fathers day!!

RB
theroblog.com said…
Thank you! Happy Father's day to you too. You did a pretty good job.
theroblog.com said…
(Of course, I shouldn't say you did an excellent job, because that wouldn't be modest on my part. :) )

Popular Posts