Acer Nitro 5 BSOD Notes.

Update 22 May 2019: I think it's a bad RAM piece. IIRC in the last week I've only seen one driver restart 'black screen flash'. I also updated the Radeon software.

Frustrating that memtest didn't see any bad RAM. This is a long drawn out process.

I removed the OEM RAM stick and put an identical piece I'd purchased to expand the memory with in it's place. Seems WAY more stable.

Furmark ran without any artifacts noted for over 24 hrs off the Vega GPU. I wanted to use that since it uses system RAM which is the suspect.

Sloppy notes:

515-42 model, RX 560X and Ryzen 5.

Following instructions here. https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-1641

I noted that Visual C++ had installed a 2015 and 2017 version on my laptop but the MS download page says 2015-2019 share the same distributable so I wonder if that was the issue.

After uninstalling and reinstalling those I ended up with 2005 version 4, 2012 x64/x86 and the 2017 x64/x86.

Links for 2005 and 2012 IIRC I had to google for.

Latest attempt: GPU scaling on.

It black screen flashes (Windows driver restart due to non responsiveness) too.

Furmark, Memtest, etc. have revealed no artifacts/memory issues yet. What's weird is it doesn't do it in games at higher temps so I'm hoping it's a windows GUI issue which is where it happens...usually just while using chrome...

BSOD changed from

Video TDR Failure (atikmpag.sys)

(IIRC) to a different issue after the instructions at https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-1641 and since then I turned on GPU scaling...

Comments

Popular Posts