Free Dictation for iPhone and iPod Touch: Never type a text, email, or blog post again!

Nice app, and it's free! The free apps are getting so good I'm wondering when they will pay you to install it.

It will upload your contact names if you allow it for better voice recognition. Some have privacy concerns about that, but I bet no one cares who I'm calling or emailing.

I have no shady ties to persons or organizations. If I did, I think that might get me more blog hits. The only shady story I can think of is of an RV awning a company installed that wasn't the color I wanted.

So, anyway, you hit the big record button, hit Done when you're done talking, and the text shows up on the screen. From that, you can tap words it got wrong, and select an alternate word or delete it. You can also hit the record button and re-record the word. You can also pop up the onscreen keyboard for the old school method.

Once it's as you like, you can Email it, Text it, or copy it to the clipboard.

Tip of the day: If you are texting while driving (you shouldn't, but let's say it's a 6 lane highway with no one on it) you can stab your thumb down on the keyboard, move it around while holding it down, and let up when the key you want pops up. It's when you release pressure that the key will be typed.

It's recognition is very good, and it's free, so if you don't like it, you're not out anything.

It's much better at speech than the Newton was at handwriting recognition.


Get it Dragon Dictation free from the iTunes Store here.

Comments

Popular Posts